Stuff keeps falling out as I reread old books. Angus Cameron, author of the LL Bean Game & Fish Cookbook and Jack O'Connor's editor at (ahem) Knopf, sent me a copy of this exchange over The New Yorker review of O'Connor's... The Rifle Book! Click to enlarge:

Jack also got an obit in the NYT. It was a better time-- and if you don't think so look at the Atlantic fiasco below...
L.L. Bean cookbook is simply a must have.Someone gave it a rave review in Shooting Sportsman...and I've bought several for gifts over the years. Thanks. Tom Condon
ReplyDeleteI have two, kitchen and library copies, and it will be on my list-- how I found the forgotten letter...
ReplyDeleteThe L.L. Bean Cookbook is one of the first cookbooks I bought, when first married, back in 72. I got it from the Outdoor Life Book Club. I still refer to it for camping and BBQ meals and their camping spice list is indispensable. It's how we stocked our first kitchen.
ReplyDeleteI miss that book club and the authors long past.
Johnny W.