Monday, January 30, 2012

Battle Rugs & Endless Connections

I have posted a pic of my Soviet- war era Afghan battle rug before. It is a prized possession, drenched in haunted history and metaphorical blood. I got it from fellow fly fisher and double gun nut (and fine artist and rug fancier) Michael Simon, then of Livingston Montana.


Daniela, who, like many of us who are saluki and hawk people, also likes textiles, recently found this site devoted to "war rugs" and their sometimes sinister history.

This prompted me to go in search of Michael, and I was gratified to see that he is doing very well indeed. LL Bean Covers!

Back in the day, he took photos of the local literati to adorn the walls of the local bar in Livingston, and tied flies for each. Some were outrageous, but ours, the "Goshawk & Claret", was elegant. Will photo soon. But here we were, in 1999:

1 comment:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Steve

Great link - thanks for that, the Atlas rugs are awesome I'd never seen them before, and the 911 rug - that's a sign of the times alright. In 400 years that'll be really something.

Keep well
SBW