Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Bible in Gullah

Gullah is a Creole English dialect spoken by the descendants of slaves in the Sea Islands of Georgia and in low coastal areas of Georgia and South Carolina. I remember learning about this dialect (called Gullah in South Carolina and Geechee in Georgia) when I took intro linguistics at Tulane. This tells the story of the recent completion of the translation of the Bible into Gullah.

I have always found creole languages like Gullah and its counterparts in the British West Indies interesting with their African loan words and attempts to use the sentence word order of African languages with English words. The article gives some interesting examples.

My sole personal experience with a Creole English was on a trip to Jamaica, where the locals refer to it as "The Patois." It was absolutely incomprehensible to me.

No comments: