Friday, January 20, 2006

Writing for Money

As an aspiring writer for money and other good reasons, this Yahoo News piece caught my eye: Scrushy Said to Pay for Positive Stories. I'm unfamiliar with the court case it hinges on but gather the defendant managed to swing some good press from a freelance writer. A public relations firm and an influential local newspaper may have facilitated the deal. The writer received $11,000 for her work, and the defendant was acquitted.

Eleven grand for a few stories, doubtless light on the research end, sounds like good money to me. I've done more for less (often much less) in my own freelancing. I wonder, would I turn this one down?

Two sides weigh in with considerations:


"U.S. Attorney Alice Martin, who prosecuted the case, said the claims of Audry Lewis and Henderson, if true, do not appear to amount to a crime. 'If you want to pay someone to write favorable stories and can get a paper to print them, I don't know of any law it violates,' Martin said. "


A counter argument comes from the highly ethical field of professional journalism:


"Kelly McBride, who directs ethics programs of the Poynter Institute, which trains professional journalists, said the payments described by Audry Lewis are 'a complete aberration' in American journalism."
Really? Am I so cynical?

Would any of the many good writers in orbit of Querencia like to comment here? For the record, I would probably take this job. I have probably done worse.

You can contact me privately for a quote.

2 comments:

Mary Strachan Scriver said...

Better give it up, Matt, unless your politics are different than I think. This storyline has its roots in the Bush administration paying journalists to paint rosy pictures of the war in Iraq.

I engaged-- or was supposed to be engaged-- in this sort of thing about 1971 when the local school district put me on salary to improve the community's opinion of the schools. I was supposed to find out successes and then publish them in the local paper -- which was perfectly cooperative. But I forgot the first rule of addressing complaints: get rid of the complaint, not the complainant. When people told me what was wrong, I was busy trying to find a solution. My job only lasted a few months -- then the superintendent sent me back to the classroom.

Prairie Mary

Matt Mullenix said...

I've only had my shingle out for a couple years and haven't quit my day job, so my thoughts on this are still highly theoretical. But I've been surprised already by what jobs I've agreed to take.

I once drafted a letter to lawmakers cautioning against class action suits (a concept I support in many cases) on behalf of an industry that might deserve to be sued.

I've written copy selling the scientific merits of devices I've never seen and seriously doubt work at all.

I've lauded people I've never met in letters of recommendation purchased by other people I've never met.

I don't think I want to go on with this list. My point (again, so far theoretical) is that unless you're a truly gifted writer and thinker and then lucky on top of that, you might have to be willing to work where the money is.

Still, there are plenty of things I wouldn't do for any amount; I hope there are at least a few things I wouldn't write about.

:-)