Sunday, January 22, 2006

Zoomorphic Art, Plus

(Which is a term I more or less made up just now). I love art, especially sculpture, that includes or references natural objects without exactly mimicking them. Our friend the zoologist and artist Jonathan Kingdon . has done some such work; another friend, local artist Yvonne Magener-- I'll try to get some of hers up soon-- does combinations of skulls and metal that are elegant and fascinating.

By synchronicity, friends have just found or revealed two more. The more whimsical was found by Roseann, in the form of this rather creepy (but still whimsical!) "statue" made from an old pet's bones and metal. But if you go to their site you will find that sculptor Jessica Joslin and her painter husband Jared have constructed some wonderful objects.


And from Pluvialis at Fretmarks comes a recommendation for the mysterious and elegant work of Steve Dilworth. Take a look at "Woodcock"


which apparently is in part a coffin for said bird, or "Cuckoo".


I want one!

While you are at Fretmarks, take a look at the post below (previous to) the Dilworth, "Envy". I LOVE this exchange, between Pluvialis and a friend re a popular novelist known by both :

"And when the envy reaches heights as high as it did this morning, when I leafed bitterly through her four-page feature illustrated with photos of herself on beaches and in spas, all I need to do is remember my dear friend B telling me why he'd bought The Novelist's first novel. "I'd heard it was kind of autobiographical" he explained, "and I knew her quite well at college, and I was looking forward to seeing how she'd based all the characters in the book on people we knew."

"Cool!" I said. "Who was in it?"

There was a pause. "I got halfway through" he said, mournfully, "before I realised there weren't any other characters in it at all".

No comments: