Thursday, February 16, 2006

Quailgate

I think gunblogger Tam just about nails it, with one caveat:

"Yes, we know that Ted Kennedy (aka "The Evel Kneivel of Chappaquidick") is a pusillanimous toad who killed a woman with his total lack of backbone, and that his car has killed more women than Dick's pansy little 28 gauge shotgun has

"Yes, we know that wandering downrange during a quail hunt isn't the brightest thing one can do while upland bird hunting.

"The fact remains that Cheney committed an egregious Rule Four violation.By all accounts, he's been a mensch about it, but it still happened.

"Stating as much does not imply a desire to run out and join Al Qaeda..."

But Tamara, I love that "pansy little 28 gauge"! When I lived in New England 25 years ago I killed more grouse and woodcock with it than any other gauge. These days I hunt Mearn's quail in the New Mexico mountains near my home using a five- pound 28. I will go from 6500 feet to 8000 and back several times in a day, and weight counts....


Yeah, it's French. But it came from a Texas importer...

6 comments:

Matt Mullenix said...

Any truth to the rumors that this was a pen-reared quail shoot?

Also heard more that 400 birds were killed that day.... that figure makes me suspicious of the first rumor (how many birds per hour would that be, anyway??), even if they were tame birds, but I suppose it's possible with enough armed Secret Service, first aid technitians and CIA spooks along.

Ah, It's Good To Be The King.

Anonymous said...

I thought when you were walking in line, and someone shot a bird, it was not only safe, but common, and sporting, decency to wait until the bird was retrieved, or counted lost - or am I missing something? - ( "Sportsmanship" perhaps ?) -but maybe "maximum shots taken", irrespective of target, is the aim of private released quail hunting in Texas!!
Anyway , was Cheney poorly sighted or something ?- how can you NOT SEE see an ageing Lawyer with the required square inches of FLAME ORANGE?, as legally required whenever I have had the priviledge of shooting in US or Canada?

Steve Bodio said...

First, I am not defending the V P's conduct, or I would not have posted thus. I do think the media has gone nuts.

Second, if you were hunting with me, I would expect everyone to do exactly as you said. But as to "pen raised quail" I believe that was Matt's joke. The big South Texas ranches manage intensively for narural quail and know more about it than anyone-- no pen raising needed.

Third, Blaze orange is state not US law and uncommon in the west and desert states. It is not mandated in Texas.

Tam said...

We have seen that the 28 gauge is just not enough gun for high powered lawyers.

When stalking such game one should use enough gun, as they are wont to charge when they're wounded. ;)

Matt Mullenix said...

Steve the pen-reared quail comment was not my joke, but came from my airtight sources at The Daily Show.

Anonymous said...

Gee Steve, Here in south Jersey [emphasis on south as in rural] most of the responsible hunters I know take the time to train and hunt with dogs on upland birds so as to 1] enjoy the experience of dogs who know their job 2] be able to stay in a gunning line that minimizes the risk of bagging another hunter.
Carol Sussman yes Steve, alive and well.