Monday, February 27, 2006

Tsuba

My friend Bodie, martial artist and Japanese sword collector, has been flying my hawk because of my lack of a working car and his of a bird. Yesterday he gave me an incredible object: a "tsuba" or Samurai sword guard dating from somewhere between 1645 and 1700. It bears the image of a stylized goshawk, the choice of Japanese falconers from at least the Tokugawa shogunate until the present.


Though he didn't know it, I have wanted a hawk tsuba since I first saw one at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, in their incredible Asian art collection, fifty years ago. Here is one there in a recent exhibit, courtesy of Walter Hingley:


I'd rather be poor with wonderful possessions like this than rich. Thanks, Bodie.

5 comments:

Odious said...

That is an amazingly beautiful object.

Anonymous said...

I regret not getting better pics of this exhibit but I next got back to the MFA, the 2nd time.

Anonymous said...

You are most welcome Steve. I'm glad you enjoy it. Thank you for letting me fly your Falcon, and for the hospitality You and Libby have shown me over the years.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

sorry to barge in on you all.
In my search for japanese sword fittings with a falconry connection, I found myself here.
I was intrigued to see Steve Bodio's name appear after a 'tsuba falcon' search, so I had a quick look round.
I saw photographs of my friend Ron Digby, I read the unmistakable language of my friend Helen, I wondered at how small the world has become.
I recently sat in a country pub, talking to friends and relatives visiting from the US. When the conversation turned to falconry (as it normally does at some point so as to include a falconer in the conversation)I was asked "Do you know Bodio"? I feel more and more that I should say yes!
Anyhow, nice to meet you all,

Tony James

Anonymous said...

Haaaa! Hello Tony! You've found us all! xxxx