Friday, March 17, 2006

Crash - Not the Movie

Two nights ago my dog Sadie and I were driving to Petco to shop for dog supplies. I had just gotten off of the 101 Freeway and was driving through a green-lighted intersection when a young lady driving the opposite direction ignored the red left-turn arrow and turned in front of me. I couldn't stop in time and we collided. Luckily no one was hurt. You can see the damage on my truck. The other car was a new Scion sedan. Those cars are mostly plastic and the front end exploded into shards. It must have been a slow night, as three ambulances, three police cars and a fire truck all made the call.

As I said, luckily no one was injured. No airbags deployed. The two ladies in the other car were okay. My seat belt held me fine. My pickup has a bench seat. There were some papers and magazines on it and I put an old bath towel on top of them for Sadie to sit on. When we had our sudden stop that slid right off and Sadie "surfed" it to the floor escaping harm.

Sadie seemed more excited than anything about the crash itself. She actually enjoyed the post-wreck activity as she got to flirt with all the EMTs, firemen, and policemen who had to pet her and tell her how cute she was. One of the EMTs said he knew dog first-aid from working with search-and-rescue dogs and he checked Sadie out to make sure she was okay.

The fender was pushed in hard against the tire so I couldn't pull out of the intersection. When the wrecker came he was able to pull the fender out, so I was actually able to drive home.

So now we just have the hassles of dealing with insurance. This truck has been a dependable friend for almost 197,000 miles of hunting and camping trips and pulling our horse trailer. Our first real accident in all that time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Read

Sounds like you were one lucky guy, and have an even more lucky dog! I always worry when I see loose dogs in cars- not becuse I am an old Fuddy Duddy , but a loose dog in a car whether in the front or back is a danger to itself , and the Human occupants in the event of a crash .
There is also the problem that a frightened , post crash loose dog on a Highway , or even worse, a Freeway is likely to get injured , lost , or cause another accident .

I always used to keep my dogs in the back , behind a dog guard, but now , I put my young Lab in a purpose made dog crate in the back . She readily enters, and now sees it as her mobile kennel , so we both travel safely , me belted up, with her out of harms way too!.

Heidi the Hick said...

Hi Reid, sorry about your fender bender but glad nobody was hurt. I have been criticized for letting my kids ride in the front seat of my truck. I have mixed feelings aobut it. Obviously as a mother I don't want them to get hurt. But it's a 1989, no airbags. My husband's Jetta has airbags and I am barely big enough to sit in the front seat, let alone drive. Scary. I feel pretty safe in my GMC. Not so crazy about plastic cars.