Friday, March 24, 2006

The King of Baby Carrots

Robert Grimm, president of Grimmway Farms, who did more than anyone else to popularize baby carrots, has died of a heart attack in Bakersfield. I had no idea how big a business carrots are until I lived in Kern County, where Grimmway is the largest private employer. It also came as a shock to me to learn that baby carrots aren't really baby carrots. They are full-size mature carrots cut to 2-inch lengths and turned on abrading lathes to give them the right shape.

1 comment:

Heidi the Hick said...

My husband heard an interview with this guy on the radio- he said it was fascinating- but I thought he was full of it when he told me that baby carrots are made, not grown. I grew up planting and picking carrots yet I too was duped by the baby carrot species!