Saturday, June 10, 2006

Guns for Food and Guns for Sport

In southern Europe, tiny shotgun bores have always been common. Descended from such oldies as the 9mm and 8mm Flobert rimfire cartridges, but now available in handily reloadable centerfire versions, they have always receieved scorn from american writers, as have their slightly larger brethren like the .410 and the 32- bore-- 'suitable only for rats" and the like.

I think that this is based on a misconception. A brochure for a reloading tool for the 8mm cartridge shows blinds, starling decoys, and doves. You don't use them for wingshooting, especially the millimetric bores-- you use them from blinds, over decoys, at ranges under 10 yards, to shoot small legal birds FOR FOOD.

(When I was in Provence years ago I bought a lot of French hunting mags-- still have them-- and was simulataneously amused and horrified to see the caption under a photo of a proud hunter who had just "killed the musician"-- a Song thrush. But I was also reminded of the scorn of a young cowboy at the Golden Spur one night, and his incomprehension that "Johnny UK" didn't want to shoot an elk here-- he wanted to shoot a quail!)

Recently Vito Accardi of Accardi Importers in California, sent me a trio of micro- bores to evalute for an article or two, and I am fascinated, especially by this tiny Falco side- by- side 9mm perched here, rather incongruously, on the skull of a buffalo.



For scale, here it is with a big Darne 10 bore:



Though I DO hunt elk-- perhaps some blogging on an elk rifle soon-- I can envision myself building a blind near town and setting out decoys for the abundant sparrows, starlings, and exotic doves. Because I am an eater and a cook. Polenta with meat sauce, risott' with small birds-- yum!

I love wingshooting too, but my paternal grandparents came from Italy, and loved their "uccellini"... "makes a nice sauce!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve

I suppose I have to reply to my critic who could not understand my preference for a quail, when an Elk may have been available .

All that travel( from the UK ) miles of walking effort, and fieldcraft , for the chance of shooting such a small gamebird- and with a borrowed gun !

But that is the point. I do not shoot rifles, I hunt birds with shotguns , and it is the "whole package" which appeals to me .

A change of scenery , companions, good hunting dogs, ( Especially Steve & Libby, or Omar and their dogs ) and their different approaches to new game species , that is the fascination of the Chase - Oh and the chance of a roast quail at the end as a reward , is what hunting is about for me - Remember , if we all liked the same places , ecology and game, it would be awful crowded!.

However , if I were a rifle men ,( especially with a hungry family to feed), Boy would I love to bag an Elk!

JohnnyUK

Steve Bodio said...

Exactly, Johnny. Western "cowboy" culture has a preference (prejudice?)for big game that still exists; many of us who hunt birds here--me (New England), Omar (Chicago) and the late Floyd Mansell (Arkansas) started where there were wingshooting traditions, though we all hunt elk too now that we are here.

Similarly, American shotgunners scorn the micro- bores-- but they have their ecological niche too!

Anonymous said...

Hi steve

I suppose it's just different culture , different ways !- Live and let Live , I say, and we may all learn things from one another!

I note that Beretta, not content with 28G , are now making 32G shotguns.

There has been a fashion in Uk for teams of guns in driven syndicates to shoot one day with small bores- Typically 0.410 - but more recently with 28G, probably the smallest gauge with a reasonable chance of killing a pheasant cleanly ( Unless someone knows better?).........

Maybe the marketing men at Beretta are talking up the 32G. as the "new 28G"- I do hope not , as wounded birds will be the result , I fear- or poor patterns when they cram a 28G load in a 3in 32g ??
( What is the point?) .

3yrs ago,I personally changed from a 12G, to a 20g Damon Petrick ( by Bruchet Darne ) O/U with straight stock and double triggers, for all my shooting. I use 25grms of 6 1/2 shot for game birds , and 25 grms of N0. 5 Bismuth for decoyed duck ,and have seen no difference in my "kill rates" with 1/8 and 1/4 chokes - except for Wild Geese, which I let pass, or if I know I may see some at flight , then I take the 12G Darne magnum! .

Good luck with the micro bore experiments !

JohnnyUK