Sunday, July 09, 2006

I'm Baaaack!

LONG week or so-- many (delightful but many) guests, puppy insomnia, and the notorious Magdalena Old Timer's (New Timer's, Alzheimer's) Fiesta with hordes of oddly- dressed tourons making the dogs bark about 20/ 7 all have conspired to make me a bit tired...

But good news: for the first time in two years we have real rain and for the first in four (five?) a chance of real monsoons-- yes, I know they technically are not but spare me. Four days of intermittent heavy rain have the dirt roads flowing in muddy torrents and the new arrivals whining, even as ranchers and naturalists and hunters dance in the streets. Now I am listening for the calls of spadefoot toads. If I hear them I'll believe we will get a harvest of boletes and that the rains are really here.




More pics later. We went out last night to take photos and ran into two couples of ranch friends doing likewise. Desert folks take rain seriously!

Meanwhile, a link- fest of stuff I have not managed to post:

Pluvialis, Chas, and Rebecca all continue the Ten Bird Meme. We (including Darren and Carel as well) are considering an e- book at very least-- stand by!

Andrew Stuttaford's excellent Mongolia article is finally available online.

Did humans give ulcers to big cats? Matt is unconvinced, but I find it fascinating.

Odious gives a link to a brilliant and spooky story that takes place in a Santa Fe restaurant, by his alter ego Bill Davis.


If you have the money, order some locally- farmed California caviar. It is apparently environmentally sound, and of course costs less than the now- banned imported stuff. Best of all, as with california wines, they have learned a lot about quality.

I'll be back later with rain and (lush, Amazonian!) garden pics. Just add water...

1 comment:

Matt Mullenix said...

Odious' story was fantastic---both in the literal and complimentary senses! :-) What a writer!