Thursday, August 10, 2006

.. And One Last Note...

Again from Patrick: are "we" our own worst enemies?

This is an actual exchange from a UK hunting discussion group:

"EAGLE OWL

OK guys,

Thanks to some good pals on this site it looks as if yours truly is going to acquire one of the above.

I have (jointly) a pack of mink hounds, so I can flush mink to said owl.

I can use as many "dogs" as I like to do that; not just one or two, and I'll still be HA 2004 compliant.

Owlie will also be handy next winter when we reform the Valley (Rabbit) beagles. All welcome!

Problem is that I know next to nothing about looking after said owl.

What kind of place do I build for Owlie?

I have a nice dry shed at the back of the house. Does it need heating? Will Owlie object to drafts? What will he eat?

Where can I get a seriously thick gauntlet? Are any available 2nd hand?

What about transport?

Will it eat the hounds?

Will it eat the hunt terrier?

Will it eat any policemen who are surplus to requirements?

Will it eat any sabs that might arrive?

Will it kill mink ?

In other words where can I acquire an "idiot's guide" to everything I need to know aboutthe welfare and use of Owlie?

Help!"

Idiot Guide, indeed.

2 comments:

Matt Mullenix said...

POOR OWLIE..... He deserves better employers.

How long will it be before they lever this into a ban on UK falconry?

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAHHH!!! (yelled with much anger and frustration!) I don't believe that this reflects "we" being "our" own worst enemy, this seems like a case of (again) "them" continuing to make "us" look bad. Sorry for the broad generalizations, but I can't stand this kind of nonsense. I just want to grab people by the lapels and scream "Stop screwing things up for everyone else!!"