Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Good things elsewhere...

You should be keeping up with Mary's wise, prolific, and insightful posts. She continues to reflect on her experiences as an animal control officer here at Prairie Mary-- read and scroll down. The 'possum story is hilarious, but she knows darker things about human- animal relations too.

And at her writing blog, Merry Scribbler, she examines the works of Gerald Durrell as well as a good biography by Douglas Botting which I also recommend.

Patrick has a post on the tangled roots of AR and dog shows. "...the Dog Show crowd and the Animal Rights crowd spring from the same root-stock of sentiment, and in both cases the animals are the side-show, not the main event". A must- read for worried working dog people and breeders.

A "new" (to me) blog, which I highly recommend, is The Hairy Museum, a largely paleontological site run by a New Mexico museum guy. I don't know him (yet-- though I intend to contact him) ,but he and his site are also associated with the eccentric genius of fish and paleontology art, Ray Troll, whom I met a couple of times in Bozeman. We crazies have a way of finding one another. Hat tip Carel. Also see William Spears designs, which fetures among other wonderful things cloisonne' pins by Troll. I have one (among many) featuring a skull over a keyboard that says "Write hard, die free".

Posting may be sporadic here until guests are gone, but I will keep storing up tidbits.

No comments: