Monday, September 18, 2006

NOT prissy!

Larissa-- who is as far from a "frigid, frustrated suburban biddy" as anyone I can think of, is furious with, among other things, crude come- ons:

"But when he spoke, his intentions were so unappetizingly clear—so impersonally sex-driven –that out of abashment and instinctive non-whoriness I mentally aborted those embryonic “maybe” thoughts I had harbored for him and felt my loins frosting over as I waited for the barrage of come-ons to end. So unworried was he that his baldfaced bluntness was inappropriate, unappealing, or even downright repulsive to any woman who wasn’t a slipshod floozy, that when I declined, instead of rethinking his tactic and hazarding a different one, he demanded that I explain why I wasn’t interested. As flummoxed as I was at hearing that a one night stand with the likes of him or bloody-anyone should fill my heart with giddy joy or whatever, the second shock of being challenged to justify myself left me stunned. I should have slapped him, and only later did I realize how unfortunate it really was that I hadn’t slapped him, because there was a deeper insult I hadn’t articulated to myself in the moment: He not only thought I was the kind of person (slipshod floozy) who would respond to such crassness, but he felt he could say it to my face."

If I were on the receiving end of this splendid essay, I'd join, not a monastery, but the Skopti. How's that for a Russian ref, Lulu?

Shoot the editor, too.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I'm very impressed wth your Russian ref. I must admit, though, it was a little startling, after your recent entries, to read my name on your blog and realize it wasn't referring to puppy!