Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pluto and-- Californians

With apologies in advance to Reid, Connie, Margory-- what is it with Californians anyway??

From Anthony Dick again, the reaction of some members of the state legislature to the "downsizing" of Pluto:

"WHEREAS, The mean-spirited International Astronomical Union decided on August 24, 2006, to disrespect Pluto by stripping Pluto of its planetary status and reclassifying it as a lowly dwarf planet; and . . .

"WHEREAS, Downgrading Pluto's status will cause psychological harm to some Californians who question their place in the universe and worry about the instability of universal constants. . .

"Resolved by the Assembly of the State of California, That the Assembly hereby condemns the International Astronomical Union’s decision to strip Pluto of its planetary status for its tremendous impact on the people of California and the state’s long term fiscal health."

(Emphasis mine)

5 comments:

Matt Mullenix said...

Could that be for real??

I mean, like, fer real?

Whoooooa.

Dude.

Anonymous said...

Duuude...I'm, like, so upset by this. I feel that i might be, like, psychologically harmed and stuff....how will I ever, like, go on with my life worrying about, like, the instability of the universe?


You have got to be kidding. right? please tell me you're joking....

Anonymous said...

Aye! - it's crazy here - crazy! Mind you, listed in the co-authors are familiar names (which names I dare not speak!) - the usual suspects they are, sponsoring and supporting for all kinds of 'animal rights' legislation, including recently anti-hunting AB 2110! From another world, California, what I used to call like a 'foreign country' being a girl from the East Coast - but anymore = it IS another world.

Anonymous said...

It's a bit of theater and a bit of sarcasm. See this for more info/different take. I have zero knowledge of any of the players or underlying issues, but I'm in favor of sarcasm, satire, and - if well written - ridicule in politics. There's precious little entertainment value otherwise...

Matt Mullenix said...

Dr. HQ: Great post and link! If that's the case then I, like, take back my flippant dismissal of, like, questionable Left Coast legislative priorities. Go Cali!

Signed,
An Inbred, Barefoot Louisiana Mudbug