Monday, September 18, 2006

Preview

We will soon have a European correspondent-- a Magdalenian at that.

Here is a foretaste:

"In any event, I spent the last week in Tirana, Albania. It's an interesting city, really in the early stages of becoming a completely different place I think. All the buildings are garishly painted in fresh coats of primary colors, randomly pieced together, just a huge affront, I think, to Soviet greyness. It's a very insular place, and difficult to get around in. I went on a days notice and arrived not knowing a single word. After a few days I had a few basic expressions down, but it was still a chore to communicate even simple things, and a lot of the time, when someone couldn't understand me, they would just give up, turn around and put me, apparently, completely out of their mind. It was a great experience."

No comments: