Friday, September 15, 2006

Up on Mt. Baldy

While visiting in Magdalena, Steve took us on a drive up to Mt. Baldy in the Cibola National Forest south of town. There we were treated to an amazingly spectacular view of the area to the west. I took some views with my film camera, and if any of them do justice when I get them back I will put them up here. Above, Libby, Steve and I are enjoying the view and watching about 30 ravens play in the wind currents.

As we descended the road back to town we saw a flock of a half-dozen wild turkeys on the side of the road not ten yards from the truck. I grabbed my film camera with the 28-200 zoom and sure enough, I was at the end of the roll in the camera. With no time to reload, I grabbed the digital point-and-shoot. Sure enough, the batteries were flat. Connie yelled that there were spare batteries in the glove box. By the time I could get them in and get out of the truck, this was the best shot I could get. Mr. Murphy was definitely on board that afternoon.

On the way up hill, Libby's sharp eyes noted a scattering of mushrooms along the bank of the creek that the road parallels. On the trip back down, we stopped at a pull-out and and went over to collect these angel-wings (Steve will have to provide the species name). So now there are more members in the "Querencia Club" established by Pluvialis for bloggers pictured next to edible fungi.

Here are the intrepid hunters posing with their prey.

1 comment:

Steve Bodio said...

"Angel wings"-- a Pleurotus.