Friday, October 27, 2006

Around the web

Peculiar writes to me:

"This one sounds like the first chapter of a pretty good thriller: "Disgraced South Korean stem cell scientist Hwang Woo-suk said on Tuesday he spent part of private donations for research to pay the Russian mafia for mammoth tissues to clone extinct elephant species."

He adds: "I like this line too, though I wouldn't have figured it was very hard in Korea: "Do you know how hard it is to secure four or five animal ovaries at butcher shops? You need to keep the workers there happy." "

Michael Blowhard begins an excellent series of interviews with the brilliant and politically unclassifiable writer Bill Kauffman, whose thinking is admired by "Crunchy Cons", paleoconservatives, anarchists, and old- fashioned Democrats (if there are any of them left).

Want to write a novel? Quickly? Go here and do it! Actually I think this is a very good idea and if I were not writing (at least) two books right now-- more on that soon-- I'd be in there too.

The nanny state is determined to kill your dog with kindness. Go here to find out how Joe Trippi and the dog meddlers around Denver want to bring in a "European- style" model that includes the outright destruction of certain breeds. Is yours next?

"European models" for the US are as much red flags as are the words "for the children" as justification for the latest in social engineering. Come to think of it, these dog rules seem to stink of both.

1 comment:

Heidi the Hick said...

I did NaNoWriMo last year, and I was successful. I have a 50,000 word small novel riddled with mistakes but there's something kind of sweet about it. When I'm done this round of querying (and getting rejected) I'll drag it out and fix it up.

That's the third one I've finished. And the quickest! I'm working on Novel #4 now.

Among other things. A year ago I was only working on that and blogging and restoring my sanity. Maybe next year I'll do it again. It was kinda fun!