Monday, November 06, 2006

I Wonder if Steve Remembers This Picture?


Or this one?



UPDATE

Well, since I got Steve to bite, I'll let everyone know where these came from.

I was rummaging through books the other night and found "Quail Hunting in America" by Tom Huggler. The guy drove three-quarters of the way across the country in 1985 hunting along the way so he could write this book about hunting every species of quail in the US in one season. Apparently he networked through friends of friends of friends who could help him hunt. He hunted with Steve and the late Floyd Mansell in Magdalena. They figure prominently in the chapter on Gambel's Quail from which these pictures come. The book was published in 1987 and I bought a copy in 1995 before I knew who Steve was. So the other night I was leafing through a book I hadn't looked at in years and out pops Steve.

Huggler on Bodio: "Steve Bodio is a young writer with Boston roots. He is the twentieth century equal to a man of letters and is a walking encyclopedia on topics as diverse as fine wine to a geologic history of the land. For the past eight years, he has written "Bodio's Review" for Gray's Sporting Journal and has recently published Good Guns, his second title from Nick Lyons Books (the first is Rage for Falcons)."

5 comments:

Steve Bodio said...

Good God-- where the HELL did you find those?!

They are from around 1984-- that's the late Floyd Mansell with me in the second, going into South Canyon in the Magdalenas. In the first-- I think I wrote about that quail hunt in Querencia.

Matt Mullenix said...

"...the twentieth century equal to a man of letters"

Damn that's cool.

Matt Mullenix said...

Just noticed Steve: In that pic you were my age.

Steve Bodio said...

Believe it or not (sigh)...

Reid Farmer said...

Steve and I both started out young but we were able to overcome it