Friday, November 03, 2006

Marketing

Reid sent this interesting NYT piece on publishers selling books in non- traditional venues like sporting goods stores and delis.

Matt mused: "Eagle Dreams on table with wilderness gear at outfitters store...

"Edge of the Wild dual-billed at Whole Foods with the authentic Italian meats AND in pasta isle...

"Tiger Country [ unpublished novel] at LSU Union Bookstore, placed in lap of large stuffed tiger mascot plush toy (Geaux Bodieaux!)...

"(OK, that last one maybe a little over the top.)"

He then sent this:




Actually the Golden Spur Bar in Magdalena used to sell my books. And Ron Peterson's Guns in Albuquerque...

4 comments:

Reid Farmer said...

Haven't I been saying you and Libby should do a cookbook. That would expand your range some more!

Heidi the Hick said...

Y'know...I'm at the point I'd be willing to sell a book anywhere.

Although I admit that I have a sick love of bookstores...

Steve Bodio said...

I'd rather sell in a bookstore than anywhere else, but I'll try anything!

Anonymous said...

I once saw ALL of your books as well as most every other decent in-print sporting titles in an otherwise very typical rod-and-gun shop along the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.

Even though I was in a rush to get out to hunt diving ducks on the bay, I bought a couple books just to encourage the owner.

I would certainly rather buy hunting/fishing books from such a place than the bad service and bad reputation of Wilderness Adventures.