Friday, January 12, 2007

Doggie Downers

If this makes the Doom and Gloom column, then at least it suggests a way to feel better.

Reid found this LAT piece entitled "Fido's Little Helper," a reference to the growing trend in giving psychoactive medications to pets. Laugh, but we do buy them sweaters. And last week I saw a commercial for a gourmet cat food with parsley in it. Parsely!

So, Prozac and parsley. I don't want to know what's next.

But I'm posting on this to admit that my wife and I actually gave a dose of Prozac (under veterinary supervision) to our late kitty, Tiny Shorts. It wasn't just her name that made her crazy; she was ticky right from the start. We found Tiny abandoned in an office air conditioning vent at about ten days of age. We raised her and enjoyed her peculiar ways until last year, when she died of kidney failure.

On most days, Tiny Shorts was an ordinary cat. But about three times a year, she would flip out and spend several days buried under the covers of the guest bed, refusing to eat or even move. This was alarming, and especially distressing to my wife. But it didn't stop me from dropping the word "catatonic" into the conversation at least once a day.

As one such episode stretched nearly into a week, we knew we needed to do something. We had guests coming for the weekend. Our vet suggested this medication, which we used and which seemed to do the trick. She may have come out of it on her own; we don't know.

Knowing Patrick would have something interesting to say about all this, Reid cc'd him. Patrick writes:

"My best friend in college was a huge muscular Chippewa Indian fellow (a very gentle soul) who was a psych major and he made cats schizophrenic by randomly shocking them when they went for the food bowl. The experiment, as I recall, had to do with mental illness, consistency, and rewards. I just remember thinking it was wrong, and being surprised that animals could be made nuts so quickly by such a relatively small stress.

"When I first got Jack Russell terriers, and laser light pointers came out, I was told to never play a laser light on the floor as the Russells would chase it -- they are very prone Compulsive Disorder. Sure enough, a few years ago I was at a friend's house and he had two Russells that chased shadows and imaginary shapes on the carpet. Yow!

"Right now, almost all of the drug companies that make anti-schizophrenia medications are under investigation for illegal off-label marketing of their drugs to dementia patients. The drug do not help dementia, but an alzheimer patient is not likely to complain, and Medicare and Medicaid will foot the bill. About a billion dollars (at least) in False Claims Act settlements are stacked up behind these frauds, which stand as proof that the drug companies will sell anything to anyone (even a dog) if they can make a buck. That said, see points one and two above -- some animals really ARE nuts, and really do need meds. This statement may or may not refer to people in my immediate family. :)"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,
I don't know about gourmet dog food, but raw meat & vegs diets for dogs call for parsley. We switched to a raw diet after our first sighthound was diagnosed w/bone cancer. I guess parsley has lots of trace minerals that are good for canines.

Paul

Matt Mullenix said...

Well, now I KNEW someone was going to bring that up! :-)

Thanks Paul

Anonymous said...

Parsley has lots of chlorophyll, which is good for odors in the digestive system, it has volatile oils and increases urination, which is good for UTIs, and it will help dry up a lactating bitch, or one who is having a false pregnancy. It has a mild effect on cleaning out and contracting the uterus post-pregnancy. It also makes a lovely garnish.

Reid Farmer said...

Catatonic. VERY good, Matt!

Anonymous said...

Matt

you might recall my harris hawk, Suzie. I donated her to the Vet School as she had excessive or milicious plucking.

I heard that they are now treating her "condition" with prozac.

I also heard it works

Russ

Heidi the Hick said...

CATATONIC. Well done!

Okay, having been on a few meds myself, and being surrounded by critters with various levels of messed - up - ness...

My beloved horse Champ was kinda nuts. At about age 5 he was confined to the barn for recovery from an allergic reaction to a painkiller (that was a really bad stretch, let me tell you.) He started biting his flanks. The vet said this was often a stallion behaviour, as they're very oral. We suspected Champ has been gelded later, possibly around age 4, just months before I got him.

Horses thrive on social interaction from the herd, and they need to graze. After my pony died, Champ was alone. And bored. His biting habit increased. He died last summer at age 21 and even last winter, he still went into fits of self mutilation. He'd rear up and fling his head into his chest, his girth, his flanks. Last winter was the first one in years that he didn't chew himself into bloody sores.

I always hoped that with other horses around him and enough exercise, he would stop. He didn't. Once they get this compulsive behaviours they don't seem to be able to let go.

I wouldn't have given him meds though. Holy crap it costs enough just to feed a horse.

So now let me ask you all...does a crazy human owner/keeper make a critter go crazy????

Anonymous said...

Nick Dodman at Tufts has done a bunch o' work on head-meds for dogs and cats. I read The Dog Who Loved Too Much a long time ago - interesting book, but as some of the Amazon reviews indicate, a little repetitive. A mix of training and meds are the solution to all (IIRC) the cases - but reading about some of the behavior issues that seem to have a genetic component (white Bulldogs?!?! YOW!) was useful. I agree w/ one of the reviewers: "The negative reviews of this book, even if they cavil over other aspects, seem to be primarily hostile to the concept of using drugs to treat animal behavior problems (especially dogs since neurotic ones can present the most trouble for their human companions). This has long been a dead issue in human illness and only those far outside the mainstream would consider behavioral treatment alone for human anxiety disorders, depression or certain neuroses such as obsessive compulsive disorder and phobias." OTOH - I can't argue w/ one of the negative reviews: "...he might realize there's a time to say, "Either find another home for this dog or put him down, or I can't be responsible if he devours your baby or maims your friends." No, Dr. Dodman: when such a dog is 90% better on drugs, I'm not risking that 10% around my loved ones, thank you!" - except I would have left out the 'find another home' part - nothing pisses me off more that folks who are willing to find another home for a dog because it's a ticking time bomb.

Matt Mullenix said...

To Heidi's good question: I hope not, but I fear yes!