Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Good Stuff # 1: Birds



Just got some good news and will blog on it when it becomes "official".

Meanwhile it inspires me to put up more visuals and other fun and (in this case) not yet official stuff for a bit.

First, two birds with possible future potential for me, small falcons I can fly nearby.

Red- Headed Falcon: a tame little bird from a huge range in the Tropics, with rather Accipitrine habits.



Three- quarter Barbary, one quarter Taita falcon. The cross inhibits the Barb's wanderlust and the Taita's tendency to get eaten by other raptors.

3 comments:

Matt Mullenix said...

That red-head has a very high bad-ass quotient. As much a fan as I am of the Naish/Ramjet speculative biology discussion, I don't believe there are cooler animals on any planet or in any age as that one!

JT said...

Actually, Matt, they're red-necked falcons now (falco chicquera)... and yes, very intense, intent creatures. Their drive to take game is far greater than their fear of humans. Makes for some very enticing, pleasant little falconry birds.

JT
(I'm the guy who studied and trapped them and brought them back; I pulled that bird from the wild, but am not the one breeding them now.)

P.S. Stephen, when you gonna get one of those pups to me?

Steve Bodio said...

Haven't bred any since we talked and probably won't for at least a year. But you are on the list