Friday, March 23, 2007

Prairie Rambles

The last seven years we had been living in a suburban tract house, so when we bought the house here at Moonshine Gulch, I was happy that we could get some property around it. Here is Sadie out back. I must say I have never had a yard before that was narrow-leafed yucca, gramma grass, and prickly pear.


Though our dogs were stressed about moving as I showed in the post below, they are happy campers now that they have more open country to ramble in. We have been taking them on long walks on some open prairie in a county park just to the west of us. Way more fun than walking down a sidewalk on a leash.

Sadie has been a city dog all of her short life but is now learning all sorts of new lessons in this new environment: how to avoid burrs and cactus spines in your paws; how to navigate under barbed wire; and that horse poop is a tasty treat. When the weather warms she may learn some lessons about snakes as well.

On our first ramble we discovered the skeleton of what I believe is a fox. Here's the cranium. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong - all my reference books are in boxes.

We had some light scattered showers yesterday afternoon and the clouds added to the beauty of the sunset. Also, after the rain I realized I had forgotten just how good damp prairie grass smells.

2 comments:

Steve Bodio said...

Definitely fox. Photo it from the top and I may be able to tell which species.

Vahid Masoomi said...

Hi stephen!
5 days ago we found a ... (maybe a dog or fox or other animal! ) in Meshgin shahr-ardabil-Iran .
Visit here=
khiav-news.com/?p=3320
And let me know your opinion.
masoomi.vahid@gmail.com
Info@khiav-news.com
Thanks.