Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Web Miscellany

Yes you can write too much. What authors do you think have committed this sin?

A goose is a man's best friend.

Just in case you were tempted, don't eat Chinese pork liver. And to think some of you don't like cilantro.

Competitive yoga? Only in the US.

Study of fossils shows prehistoric fish had sex. I'm shocked! I assumed they reproduced by fission.

Nanny state alert: pubs in the UK will have hidden cameras to videotape every sale.

Something we've done several times on this blog: a meditation on the joy of books and bookshelves. I think "Shelf Life" is a very nice title.

If you're happy and you know it thank your genes.

The archaeology of Nueva Cadiz, an abandoned Spanish colonial outpost off the Venezuelan coast.

5 comments:

Henry Chappell said...

You'd think that the distant ancestors of the "happy gene" folks would have all been eaten by giant predators during the last ice age.

Anonymous said...

The goose article reminds me of a pet duck that I encountered in a pet store last year. The duck was there to visit (one of those take your pet to the pet store things). The duck had been raised as a house pet. It had a custom made cloth diaper on. The owner of the duck told me of a web site and an author who had written a book on how to raise ducks as pets. One of the strangest things I have ever seen. I also found out (the hard way) that being bitten by a duck does not hurt as much as you might think.
Zac

Neutrino Cannon said...

I assumed they reproduced by fission

I'm tempted to make this into an utterly inexcusable pun.

Reid Farmer said...

I assumed they reproduced by fission

I'm tempted to make this into an utterly inexcusable pun.

===================================

That was my intent!

mdmnm said...

Rather than authors who've written too much (for some, two or three books might be too much) how about those very prolific authors who maintain a high level of quality?

John D. MacDonald, at least in terms of his Travis McGee novels, springs to mind - 21 novels in that series in 21 years!- and some of the later ones were some of his best. Terry Pratchett has also improved with time and become more inventive despite something over forty books in twenty five years.