Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Hot Links



The NY Times tells us about Animal Cannibals. Well they did get a catchy title: "It's a Toad Eat Toad World." And you complained about my laughing stalk.

Charles Mann tells us How the Potato Changed the World, an extract from his estimable book 1493. Great potato picture, huh? Get the book.

A paleoanthropologist from up the road in Boulder is performing wear analysis and isotope analysis on fossil teeth to determine australopithecine diet.

Read this review of a new book on Columbus' forgotten voyages.

I was delightfully surprised by this piece on the world's oldest museum built by a Babylonian princess 2500 years ago and excavated by British archaeologist Leonard Woolley in 1925. I remember reading this story in one of my first books on archaeology when I was 8 or 9 years old and hadn't heard it since. The whole article is very well done with a bonus picture of Woolley with his younger colleague, T.E. Lawrence.

No comments: