Saturday, May 12, 2012

Just a few links

(I have a million but) Neutrino Cannon links to an unusually clear video of what tumbling pigeons do.



He is also the only blogger of my acquaintance to note the passing at 83 of the man who invented hard rock-- in 1958!-- Link Wray, the man whose "Rumble" was the only instrumental ever banned on AM radio.

Here he is on Conan O'Brian. He is in his seventies here, and That Song over fifty:

Jimmy Page remembers the first time he heard Rumble; unlike NC he is of my generation. Q trivia; he roomed with Father Bakewell's (see below) nephew in London in the Sixties (the Yardbird years). Said nephew later lived in NM and jammed with Belen undersheriff Bo Diddley, who was better known outside of NM for other things. Nephew and Tim Gallagher and the next guy (not Page)and I are all now fellows of the Explorers Club, which I devoutly hope has stepped back from a near train wreck, another story...

The next guy? Arctic explorer, mycophile, ethnographer- ethnobotanist- unsung writer Larry Millman has a blog at last! Enjoy...

2 comments:

Chad Love said...

I actually have a Link Wray Pandora station that I love.

I think pretty much everyone is familiar with his music by subconscious pop culture osmosis, but have absolutely no idea who he was.

I was the same way. Two years ago I couldn't have told you who Link Wray was, but then one day "Rumble" popped up on one of my Pandora punk channels. I immediately recognized the song, who wouldn't, right? But had no clue who played it.

I've been a big fan ever since. Love him. There's a whole bunch of cool Link Wray songs on Youtube.

Sometimes the Internet's not so bad, after all...

Steve Bodio said...

I'd agree-- PLAY Rumble and everyone remembers. He was a hero to the 70's punk rockers in Boston who I knew, fine forgotten musicians...

He was also an influence, mostly unsung, on both old (Wall of Voodoo though too electronic; still, "Mexican Radio" anyone?) and contemporary "Border music", along with Spaghetti western soundtracks ("The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"). Listen to Calexico, though a bit arty-- then Link's "Ace of Spades".

As you say, MANY more good YouTubes including some where he looks & rocks like 1958 ca 1990. He was never dull.