Friday, June 28, 2013

Classic

Lucky John Wilson has been presented with a classic TR3; a late one with the better  TR4 engine at that, but with the "wasp- waisted" body that always reminds me of a miniature Jag  XK120. Don't you think so?



His expedition to bring it from Ohio to NM was more arduous than planned. He had to tow the pristine little jewel, with its sky blue body and dark blue leather seats, in a closed trailer (and into a headwind) to protect it. Halfway across Iowa, the tow vehicle died a most definitive death. John had to buy an old but very clean Suburban, not a car I associate with him, to complete the trip.
I think it was worth it:
I lent him a proper English tweed cap for his "image", and will hit up Johnny UK, who got me mine, for one for John.



3 comments:

Jonathan Hanson said...

My other had a 1954 TR2 when I was very young. She used to blast up Bear Canyon Road, then (1962) nearly deserted, at extra-legal speeds with us wedged behind the seats. Passing sheriff's deputies would just wave.

Anonymous said...

My old woodwork master at my Upper school had a TR3,which he had fastidiously restored. It was the envy of all us boys-It was also in a sky blue shade, popular at the time.....

Just let me know size and colour, and I will sort something out -

Remember; "One must never venture out, unless properly dressed, in a classic English sports car", especially with the roof down!

JohnnyUK

Phil Yearout said...

Ah the memories! Makes me miss my '70 MGB/GT greatly. And the cap is important!