Sunday, November 17, 2013

Neuro blog post

My blog for the UNM Health Services site should be up soon here-- perhaps in a day or two. It begins with my detststion of the term "progressive" as in "progressive disease":

" It is part of the proper definition of PD: Parkinson’s is a “progressive” neurological disease. as I am a writer and work with words every day, I know exactly what the sentence means and why it is phrased that way; it describes the progress of the disease.  It is not meant to offend.

"And I still hate the phrase. Parkinson’s is the enemy of progress Every day, you lie in bed after waking wondering if you will have a good day,  a bad day, or be worse; you don’t expect better. When you walk on one of the days when tremor or rigidity is stronger than usual, “progress” becomes a measure of how far you can go, how long you can last; this driveway, that street light. It seems just yesterday that you never measured at all..."

Read the rest at UNM later this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother was diagnosed with Parkinson disease. When we visit her I can't help but notice that her memory is failing and she is not the person that she used to be. I don't know if I really understand this disease.