Falconer- biologist Stacia Novy, who has appeared here before, found out that there is no memorial to White, neither in England where he is temporarily forgotten, in Greece where he died on a cruise, or in the US where he is dimly seen as someone who inspired a hit musical (Camelot) and a children's cartoon (The Sword in the Stone, a miserably Disney- fied version of what may just be one of my favorite books of all time).
Stacia knew I had done some White research in his papers at the Harry Ransom Center in Austin with Helen Macdonald, whose forthcoming book on training a Gos and reading White, H is for Hawk , should be on the must- read list for all Q- Philes.
Looking for the Goshawk is worth ordering on English Amazon without waiting for a US edition, to make a case for White.
So we did, in the Journal of the North American Falconer's Association. Unfortunately it is at least right now not available to non- members-- I may publish it here later, as it is not long. Stacia has persuaded the Peregrine Fund to make a memorial for him at the World Center for Birds of Prey in Boise, a place any raptor- phile must visit, if we can come up with the relatively reasonable sum. If you have been delighted or moved or even irritated by White and Gos and The Wart, consider contributing a few dollars. The pages below, annotated by Stacia, will show you how-- right or double click to enlarge. Remember, this is just HOW-- you must go to their site first! She adds these instructions:
1. Type this link into the browser: https://my.peregrinefund.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=352
2. The online form will appear on screen; it will look exactly like the attached screenshots (top and bottom)
3. Do NOT press the big, red, round button at the top
4. Monetary Donations must be in US Dollars
5. Fill in the yellow highlighted areas of the Donation Form Top
6. Select item(s) indicated in the drop-down menu(s)
7. If the Address menu does NOT have the state or foreign country listed, select "N/A"
8. Fill in e-mail address to receive an automatic donation receipt
9. Fill in the yellow highlighted areas of the Donation Form Bottom
10. Fill in applicable credit card information
11. Fill in Tribute Information as shown: "Terence Hanbury White"
12. Click the square "Donate Now" at the bottom of the screen
13. An e-mail confirmation will be sent as a record of donation