Friday, October 14, 2005

I could be wrong...

Any reader of this blog knows I am wary about China. So when I read an essay called "The Chinese are our Friends" in the November Esquire (not available online) I had to read it.

It was not as weak a case as I supposed, and the author, Thomas P. M. Barnett, was neither a Wall Street Pollyanna nor a leftist, though he failed to mention such things as a Chinese general's threatening to nuke all our cities if we defended Taiwan on the grounds, startlingly Maoist, that they could afford to lose the population. And he, as I do, likes India and (though it is often difficult) Russia.

So, in the spirit of Derb's "can we predict ANYTHING?" (see below) I give you a link to Barnett's new book, Blueprint for Action, which I have not read, will probably read and disagree with, but will probably be stimulated by, as I was by his essay.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He didn't reference General Zhu's comments because he had already addressed them in his blog. For the link, see here