Thursday, November 24, 2005

Naps and Novels

I am not sure how "Michael Blowhard" at 2Blowhards ever manages to blog so much and still have a life-- not just links, but full-blown essays.

Here is one on naps (can't live without one after lunch). And here is one on-- more or less against-- the modern "literary", more than genre, novel. To my shock , I find myself agreeing with him more than not. I have two novels mapped out, but they will be thrillers--literate and well written, I hope, but with no haut- lit aspirations. I can still read classics, but only one of the twelve books currently stacked by my bed is a literary novel-- and it's about Afghanistan. Why are so many our serious writers so boring? Conversely, why are so many science fiction writers, thriller writers, and science writers (to name three congenial genres) so good? Or, for that matter, "Essay Bloggers"?

It was not always so..

No comments: