Thursday, November 24, 2005

Our Guns and Theirs..

Steve Sailer has two interesting columns here and here on the guns of both sides in Iraq. I find it interesting that a Marine in Iraq seems to agree with me rather than The Alpha Environmentalist on a long- running controversy over the M16 vs the Kalashnikov-- mainly over reliability, but also over small rather than large(r) bullets.

Actually,as the second entry makes clear, the controversy is less of one once you examine it in detail. If you have a high- quality M16 clone like Jonathan's Bushmaster, and keep it as clean as he does, you will have no problem. If you were in really nasty battlefield conditions, you'd probably be better off with the (less accurate) AK. The situation with bullet size is similar-- would you rather have more ammo or more knockdown power?

We'd both agree on .45 over 9mm!

Fun fact: Mikhail Kalashnikov is a Life Member of the NRA.

2 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

I find it interesting among the mil-bloggers to see the M-14 and the .308/7.62 mm cartridge coming back into favor. Back to the past, indeed.

Reid Farmer said...

Steve writes:
Because of price (and my hoard of Russian ammo) my likely "ranch rifle" would be a Saiga AK- action hunting rifle with better sights--pretty good rugged CHEAP rifles. But for that I'd probably get a Bushmaster, but I doubt I could afford one in the foreseeable future, and I rather like the old Russki cartridge.

I'm trying to help Steve with his computer issues - Reid