Monday, May 22, 2006

Botox Injections Lighten Depression

A preliminary study shows that botox injections to erase "frown lines" may actually alleviate depression. If there was ever a city newspaper appropriate to carry this story it is the LA Times. A study of ten women had positive results and researchers are calling for full protocol clinical trials. I really liked the subtitle in the dead-tree version: If you can't frown, are you happier?

All I can say is, if this turns out to be true, a woman Connie and I saw at a party Friday night must be a candidate for least-depressed person in Santa Barbara. That is unless collagen injections in your lips counteract the effect.

7 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

blaaahhhh. I'm so tired of people using the term "depression" so lightly. It's a real thing, it's a hell of a thing to drag around; it is not simply a bad mood.

However, I've been known to dye my hair pink for a little cheer up at the mirror. Hey, at least I can still frown IF I so choose!

I like the discoveries you write about, Reid. Keep up the good work!

Reid Farmer said...

Heidi, I was not making light of depression which I know is a real affliction. I will plead guilty to making light of cosmetic procedures like botox and collagen injections and the whole culture of cosmetic surgery that reigns in my part of the world.

Heidi the Hick said...

oh it's ok Reid, I knew you weren't. Your opinion of the "procedures" was made quite clear!

We've been invited for a visit to California. I'm curious to see what it's like there!

Reid Farmer said...

Which part of the state would you visit?

Anonymous said...

My name is Diana Lee and i would like to show you my personal experience with Botox.

I have suffered with migraines and neck pain for many years. Botox has given me my life back. I have arthritis in my neck and Botox is the ONLY thing that has given me relief.

Side Effects-
None…miracle drug

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Diana Lee

Ken said...

It's your face Mary. Who am I to throw stones? Allow me to say this though, you don't need it. It's still okay if you want it. Just make sure you are doing it for you and the feminist issue is moot.

ps. My blog

Fifa said...

Wow OOhhh ! .....
After I heard what Botox was made of I swore I would never do it.
As for procedures, I'm partial to a little nip and tuck. I lost an incredible amount of weight and most of it was in the stomach area so there's a lot of excess skin there.
thank a lot for good article.
:)