Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Three quick links

I am writing two articles today (and one is for free, proving me a fool by Dr. Johnson's dictum), so time is limited. But I am taking a break, and you must see these.

First, as I said Larissa is going to London. Here is her account of her trip to set things up, which contains among other elegant and funny observations a perfect account of how the English use the adjective "brilliant".

Still in England, Darren tells us how the greater noctule bat
flies down migrant songbirds at night like a miniature falcon!
I wonder if our own hoary and red bats (Lasiurus) do the same, as they are "big" migrants with narrow wings like noctules.

Finally, at 2Blowhards, Montana novelist Richard Wheeler pokes some holes in the (post?) modern literary novel and its pretensions, showing how, as raymond Chandler said, there are no genres, only good and bad writing.

Read The Whole Thing(s)!

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank you for those links! As I "fancy myself a writer" I have printed out Wheeler's speech and I'm going to tuck it into the front pocket of my notebook!

Reid Farmer said...

I have read several of Wheeler's books and have enjoyed them. If I remember correctly he publishes through Tor, like my pals Mike and Kathy Gear.

KLEINWILD said...

Hi Steve,

Great blog! I've linked to it on my weblog, http://whatacountry.blogspot.com/

I'm a friend of Tim Gallagher's out in the LA area.

Maybe you guys could put a link in to my weblog?

thanks