Monday, July 10, 2006

Overnighter Continued

Blogger limits the amount of material you can put in a post, so lately we have been breaking up some photo-heavy posts to get everything in. This will conclude a post I started last week. Sorry for the break.

I was up the next morning to fix coffee, break camp, and head down the hill. I've used a traditional percolator for camp coffee until a couple years ago, when I got this unbreakable Lexan French press that I like much better. Took a number of pictures while headed down the road.
This shows the road snaking up through the Oak Chapparal zone, with lots of yucca in bloom.

I seem to have caught the yucca at the height of their bloom and the chamisa behind these and other wildflowers in front were going strong. Bees and other insects were quite happy.
There were also some wonderful vistas of the Santa Ynez Valley to the south. You can see the morning mist just starting to burn off in this view. I took this shot specially for Matt, so he can see places besides Louisiana and Florida that have Spanish Moss. It is common here on west and south facing slopes where ocean-generated fog provides moisture.

Then it was on to the town of Santa Ynez to get breakfast at the Burger Barn. This valley has been overrun by tourists since the popular movie "Sideways", filmed on location here, was released in 2004. By the time I finished breakfast, the Burger Barn was packed.

No comments: