Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Family Sighthounds

Happy New Year, y'all! I'm home in Georgia this week, firming up family ties and rediscovering my accent (pronounce it: ax-sant).

Eight days under one roof with my parents and own children offer plenty opportunities to ponder genetic determinism. There have been few surprises along those lines this week, but one of them was Mom's choice in a new puppy: a borzoi she calls "Barrie," after the celebrated author of Peter Pan. (The dog's given name is Russian, Nevskyi Barhat Chernyi, for which perhaps Steve or another reader can provide a good translation?)

Mom and Dad have often expressed an appreciation for the shape and demeandor of my whippets, but they've never owned a sighthound. Their last dog (a yellow lab) died six years ago, and I wasn't even aware they were in the market for a puppy. In their so-called retiring years, I expected maybe they'd get a lap dog of some kind and tote it around with them between the distant homes of their two sons. A giant sighthound seemed unlikely...but maybe running dogs run in the family.

Here's Barrie (not much of a runner just yet):


And here's a picture of my own hound Rina (no longer a puppy):




And one I found online, a postcard from 1776, Russia, maybe a distant relative of Mom's:

9 comments:

Steve Bodio said...

"Barhat Chernyi" means black velvet.

Nevskyi (or Nevski, as in Alexander) is a proper name with no "meaning" that I know of-- which doesn't mean it doesn't have one.

Anonymous said...

Where in Georgia? There are ample opportunities to let that Borzoi pup stretch out the old legs.. We're currently in Cartersville shooting the year end ASFA lure coursing trials. They also have plenty of AKC lure coursing, NOTRA oval racing, and LGRA straight racing. There were plenty Borzoi out this weekend.

And Steve? We'll be in New Mexico in about 3 weeks for Dutch's Pack Hunt. Why don't you throw a pack together and come on down?

Peculiar said...

Steve, you don't knw the etymology of barhat, do you? It sounds much more Turkic than Russian at a glance, so to speak.

Matt Mullenix said...

Thanks Steve for the transl. Yes I think the first name is the breeder's.

Dan and Margaret: My folks are in Columbus and would love to have a contact for lure coursing opportunities and sighthound chatter in general. I looked up some sites on the internet for them, but I think they'll need real human beings to chat with. Any help appreciated (matthewmullenix@yahoo.com).

Mark said...

Happy New Year Everyone!
Lovely puppy, I've never seen a Borzoi puppy before. And what a small world we live not 10 miles from Kirriemuir.

Steve Bodio said...

Peculiar-- Lib wonders whether velvet itself may be Turkic. Cerainly Kazakhs and other Central Asian Turks use it.

Dan- if we have our good vehicle working and work done, possibly.

Also, there is someone in Florida who also might like lure (and other) coursing help soon. Email and I'll get you her name.

Reid Farmer said...

Dan & Margaret - If you are looking for a diversion in Cartersville go see the Etowah Mounds Museum. Major prehistoric Mississipian mound complex that's well worth a visit.

Anonymous said...

Shame on us. We go to Cartersville at least once a year, and we always drive past the turnoff for the mounds site, and I always say, "We should go check that out some time when we're here." Next time for sure!

Matt and Steve: I've emailed John Parker, the ASFA Regional Director who covers GA and FL as well as the Carolinas. He's the guy to get all the parties together. I've cc'd you on the message.

Also, Matt, we'll be in Folsom, LA on the 13th and 14th.. you ought to get your fine lookin' whippet over there. I occasionally get good pictures of running hounds.

Matt Mullenix said...

Hi Dan,

thanks again for helping to get the ball rolling for my folks. I'll be helping them work on this project.

I have been 2-3 times to Folsom for the lure trials and have really enjoyed myself there. Rina will not be registered with any of the clubs (though could be; she's from Deborah Bahm's project in Bush, La.) so I suppose I won't ever run her at the lure officially. But she's a wonderful hunting dog and I'm quite happy with that.

For my folks' borzoi, I think the lure work will be perfect and something exciting for them get into. Plus, another excuse to come down and see their grandchildren. :-)