Sunday, March 04, 2007

Working with large animals

I should say "larger animals," humans being large animals relative to some... just not to these.

Reid forwarded this LAT story on a California state review of SeaWorld's orca show, recently in the news for the near-drowning of a trainer by a whale during a live performance. From the story:


The report, released Tuesday, follows an investigation into a Nov. 29 incident in which Kasatka, a 7,000-pound, 17-foot-long female, dragged her trainer underwater in front of hundreds of horrified spectators at Shamu Stadium.

SeaWorld officials branded the report's findings "highly speculative and not supported by scientific fact" and met Thursday with the Cal/OSHA district manager to ask him to withdraw or modify the report.


Working with animals large enough to casually kill you bears some risk. Nonetheless, people have been managing the feat for thousands of years, accepting and mitigating the danger through careful study, mentorship and lifetimes of practice.

Performing animals are not new, but working animals have probably been in use for much longer in hunting, agriculture, construction and warfare. Effective large animal husbandry--the care and training of horses, mules, cattle, other stock--was common knowledge among rural Americans well into the 20th century. Ask your father or your grandfather. The general ignorance of working animal relationships, their benefits and dangers, is a new trend.

We've been at this so long as a specie, it shouldn't surprise us that most children, given the chance, take fearlessly to handling and working with animals. My kids press their faces into my hawk's feathers (he preens their hair) and wrangle neighborhood dogs that would give me pause. And Reid remembers one assertive young horsewoman, his daughter Lauren:

"I was never really exposed to the barn-side of dealing with horses until we moved to Tehachapi and started having them live in the backyard...I'll never forget the first time I saw my 12 year old, 85 pound little girl yelling at a horse, yanking on its lead, and slapping it to get it to do what she wanted. And it absolutely obeyed. Lauren never had any 'self esteem' or 'empowerment' issues. I figure if a little girl knows she can make a critter 20 times her weight do what she she wants, she understands she can control most anything else in her life."


This is the education American kids once took for granted. We learned young to behave responsibly and assertively toward animals large and small, wild and tame. Now, more often, we teach our kids simply to be afraid.

Reid asked our friend Rebecca, a professional animal trainer and consultant, for her take on the SeaWorld incident. Rebecca's answer suggests that healthy respect--not fear--and honest risk assessment are in order:


"Well, it's only a matter of time before a large carnivore in a show setting kills someone or at least attempts to. That is why most zoos are no longer 'free contact' in dealing with large animals. I am quite certain that some of the birds I've worked with would have killed me if they had just only been big enough....This is why I don't work with animals that I couldn't take in a fair fight."

But, she adds, "If animal trainers want to take the risk I say, 'Viva le Natural Selection!'"
I can't help but to keep bringing this post around to some larger theme. Maybe it's a stretch. But there is a clear benefit and present need in this country for honest risk assessment, for knowing when to be humble and when assertive. For knowing who you can take in a fight. Our schools don't teach these lessons. We learn them at home, first and as a matter of course with our animals.

I consider this as certain pressure groups work to limit everyone's opportunity to own, train, care for and learn from animals; and as urban policy makers comply out of their own fears and lack of experience; and as fewer kids raise chickens, train horses, breed dogs, feed hogs, hunt or even visit Shamu.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allow me to recommend, if you do not already know about her, the works of Vicki Hearne. She was an animal trainer and philosophy student and speaks beautifully about some of the things you touched on here.

I've read all of Adam's Task and parts of Animal Happiness. From the contents of this blog, I suspect you would enjoy them tremendously.

Links:

Adam's Task
Animal Happiness

Matt Mullenix said...

hb: Many thanks for your recommendations. I don't have these, but Adam's Task for one looks like a future buy.

Good line from the the publisher's blurb: "The author believes that the training relationship is a complex and fragile moral understanding between animal and human."

Too complex for any simple answers!

Steve Bodio said...

I have every one of her books-- she is a personal hero. I would also add "Bandit: Dossier of a Dangerous Dog".

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Glad to have been of use.

Steve,

I bought and watched the short film made about Bandit and her--it was remarkably affecting--but haven't read the book. I must say, I look forward to the day I don't live entirely in a city, so I can allow myself to find a dog from whom to learn.

Heidi the Hick said...

You know that this is a topic I have strong feelings about!

Yes there are risks in working with large animals!!
Safety is good. A little healthy respect is good. A small dose of fear can grow some healthy respect. But FEAR is dangerous.

It's so obvious to me when I teach lessons which kids have grown up with animals by the way they approach the horse. I had one student who was so timid that I didn't even put her on the horse until our third lesson. I wanted her to get to know this beast first. The poor kid loved horses from a distance but had no idea how to relate to a real one. I felt like putting her on his back right away would be foolish.

Another student came from a dairy goat farm complete with three dogs and peacocks and a gang of barn cats. Total comfort.

Most parents in this day and age of helmets and car seats and lawsuits refuse to accept that their kid could get minorly hurt and still go on to live a full and happy life. I wouldn't have to deal with any of this if I just walked away from the horse business but I can't just walk away so I choose to face the risks...

Matt Mullenix said...

Hi Heidi,

I hoped you'd comment. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Quick note - yes yes always Vicki Hearne - everything, especially those 2 - and also - another wee book I know Vicki was fond of (she wrote the preface) - Night After Night - Diana Starr Cooper, a gem of a book about The Big Apple Circus, because really what these whale riders are doing is as circus - where liberty displays so beautifully and elegantly, is circus.
I miss her something fierce, Vicki Hearne.
Thank you for posting this story.
-margory

Abigail said...

There is a new edition of Adam's Task available now, with an introduction by Donald McCaig. You might like to check it out. It's available on Amazon and at many bookstores, including Barnes and Noble.