Monday, August 27, 2007

Black Forest Bison

Yesterday Connie and I drove to Colorado Springs and took SR 83, one of the "blue highways" rather than the Interstate. Just as we were coming up to a plateau covered with ponderosa pine, known as the Black Forest, we saw this herd of bison on a ranch. The market for bison meat seems to be booming. We have a good selection of it at our local grocery store.

Connie commented that it seemed a rather flimsy fence for bison. Our friends Mike and Kathy Gear raise bison in Wyoming and we've been hearing stories for years about how they tear through fences when it suits them. It's not as clear as I'd like in this picture but there is a double hot-wire inside the barbed-wire fence that's doing the job here.


This herd must have a lot of interaction with its owners. They seemed quite undisturbed having me just over the fence. I've seen cattle way spookier.


This little fellow found me quite interesting and turned to track me as I walked along the fence. His mom could have cared less.

The lead bull for this herd is a huge and gorgeous animal and I was hoping for a good "buffalo nickel" portrait. Of course when I got in camera range he turned and walked straight away from me. Guess that means I'll just have to come back and try again.

No comments: