Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hot Links

Archaeologists at the University of Oregon are using a blimp to help them map and photograph medicine wheels in southeastern Oregon. Loved this picture.

I find it fascinating that paleontologists have found a Permian forest almost 300 million years-old miraculously preserved in volcanic ash in China. I find it frustrating there are no pictures of it.

Russian scientists have been able to grow this plant (see pic) from 30,000 year-old seeds preserved in permafrost. They plan to look for more seeds with which to try this.

I must confess, I had never heard of the field of archaeoacoustics before running across this article.

This article on the study of ancient human fecal remains has some good information but manages to mis-use "coprolites" which is the proper term for the object of study. I think the author was too busy trying to work "poop" and "crap" into every other sentence. One of my graduate school friends studied Anasazi coprolites and we've always teased him about writing his theses on feces.

Oh, and Happy Mardi Gras, y'all.

No comments: