Thursday, August 02, 2012

Monsoon Clouds

Lately we've been getting the summer monsoon flow, bringing moisture in these big clouds up from the Gulf of California. When we're lucky we get rain out of these in afternoon thunderstorms. As bad as the drought has been we need all we can get and have been fortunate to get rain the last three nights.

When I took that picture, I was reminded of one of my favorite Maynard Dixon paintings documenting the same phenomenon, "Cloud World." When I was a kid growing up in Tennessee, I remember seeing paintings like this one and thinking those skies couldn't possibly be real.

4 comments:

Lauren McGough said...

Love it - thanks for sharing !

Lauren McGough said...

Love it - thanks for sharing!

Steve Bodio said...

Lib and I saw a similar one at T McGuane's years ago. We are not given to painting envy, but agreed we would make an exception for that one-- which reminded me of NM more than MT!

Reid Farmer said...

Something I need to do but haven't gotten around to yet. The Anschutz family has been collecting lots of classic western art over the last few decades and I know their collection has lots of Dixons. They have turned a historic building in downtown Denver into a gallery and put their collection in there. It's open for tours two days a week.