Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Historic Preservation Board

I am proud to announce that the Douglas County Commissioners have appointed me to a three year term on the County Historic Preservation Board. It’s a volunteer position and the Board is an advisory body that gives advice and makes recommendations to the county’s decision-making groups.

Here’s the Board's mission statement:

The Board conducts research on historic resources in the County; advises property owners on methods for preserving sites and artifacts; makes recommendations to the Planning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners regarding zoning and subdivision issues related to historic resources; facilitates the collection, cataloging, preservation and interpretation of donated historic artifacts; and works to educate County residents on historic matters.

It sounded like fun to me, so I applied last fall. You can find out more about the Board and Douglas County history and prehistory here at the County website.

2 comments:

Chas S. Clifton said...

Advocate that Deckers should be a historic district. ;)

Seriously, the threat of being submerged by the Twin Forks Dam back in the 1980s kept it in a sort of time capsule. It's classic "Old Resort."

Reid Farmer said...

That's not a bad idea, Chas. We'd need to see what the property owners there think. My first meeting is next week and I'll ask if anyone has ever talked about something like that.

I like Deckers, too. We go down there fishing in the summer.

I regret to admit that I am old enough to have worked on the Two Forks Dam cultural survey when I was in grad school. Also, I was the project manager for the cultural survey of Castlewood Canyon State Park before it was a state park.