Monday, November 21, 2016

Wall Street Journal!

The fine writer Jonathan Rosen (The Life of the Skies) did me the great favor of reviewing Hounds of Heaven for the WSJ Review Supplement's Christmas Books issue. What is more, he showed that he understood the theme of all of my work. If you don't subscribe, the review is behind a paywall, but here is a version cut from my sister Karen's Facebook page.

Wall Street Journal's Jonathan Rosen picked my brothers book as a Christmas gift!
— "Years ago I stumbled on a book by Stephen Bodio called “A Rage for Falcons: An Alliance Between Man and Bird.” Like the kestrel on the first page that “turned on his back in terror and ‘footed’ me with a handful of hot needles,” the author sent an electric charge through every sentence. In “The Hounds of Heaven” (Skyhorse, 180 pages, $22.99) he combines his love of falconry with his passion for the Asian sight hound, an ancient breed from Central Asia, where men have hunted with falcons and dogs for thousands of years. A writer who gives ideas as well as dogs their warm-blooded due, Mr. Bodio explores one of his great themes: the way we evolved alongside animal companions, a savage symbiosis that helped make us human.”
- Wall Street Journal Nov 19

He also reviewed my friend Julie Zickefoose's wonderful book on nestling birds,Baby Birds and showed that he understood it too. Put that on your Christmas list as well.

1 comment:

Guy Boyd said...

Congratulations Steve, well deserved. I hope it provides a rewarding boost in book sales.