Friday, July 15, 2005

Pibgorn

Are Libby and I the only people in the world who read Pibgorn? It is a comic, or perhaps more properly a series of graphic novels in daily installments , about the adventures of its eponymous heroine, a fairy; her friend and rival Drusilla, a succubus; and the half- willing object of their affections, Geoff, an Episcopalian. What may sound silly is perhaps the best daily comic I have ever seen, swooping from humor to whimsy to theological speculation to sheer terror in moments. It is beautifully and adventurously drawn, hyper- literate, extremely sexy (rather too strong for a newspaper I suspect) and occasionally profound.

I am hoping that artist Brooke McEldowney is eventually able to publish these stories as books, so I can once again have access to my favorite yet-- the one with the haunted piano, the Regency vampires, Drusilla recapping the Marlene Deitrich Blue Angel role in a MIG, and the scariest scene I have ever seen in a comic.

McEldowney fans may also want to check out his (slightly) more conventional comic 9 Chickweed Lane, which currently deals with the life and adventures of a young dancer in New York, her true love, her other suitors, and her flamboyantly gay but large dancing partner and protector. It is as inventive in black and white as Pibgorn is in color.

No comments: