Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Total Eclipse

I better blog this before Steve does. One of our favorites, Pluvialis (aka Helen Macdonald), treats us yet again with a sample of her casual brilliance. She is back from a visit to catch the total eclipse in Turkey. No need to go there yourself; just read the whole thing.

"There I am, sitting on the beach in the underworld, with the standing dead. It is cold, and a loose wind blows through the darkness. But then, from the lower edge of the blank, black disk of the dead sun, bursts a perfect point of brilliance. It leaps and burns. It’s unthinkably fierce, unbearably bright, something (I blush to say it, but here it comes) like a word. And thus begins the world again. Instantly."

2 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

She is brilliant.

Steve Bodio said...

Matt is right-- I would have sent you there. And so is Heidi. When I taught writing one text I used was an Annie Dillard description of an eclipse, but this is better. I also love her Oxford posts and her reminices of falconry. Come on, Helen, let's have a book of essays!