Saturday, February 03, 2007

Around the Web

I am deep in writing a (paid!) piece on among other things the help dogs gave to Clovis man in his invasion of North America, so will still be posting lightly. But there are some things out there you should see.

Blog wonkery: we are now on "New" Blogger. I (miraculously) have not had much trouble but Reid and many others have.

Recent evidence of megafauna extinctions in Australia once again confirms that no human culture is innocent of the tendency towards "overkill", despite PC claims. (This has a lot to do with my work- in- progress).

As California tries to ban trans- fats, Arizona day- cares forbid fresh fruit and garden produce. HT Roseann, who also has alot of new stuff up you should read.

DEcline and Fall: from Gates of Vienna comes this amazing tale of the English police. Not only were they unhelpful to the victim of a burglar-- they threatened to arrest him if he offered a reward to get his stolen goods back!

"“Then a couple of weeks later I got a phone call from the police warning that I could be prosecuted for trying to buy stolen goods.

"I said that they had not done very much to get my things back.

"They said that they had everything under control, but I pointed out to them they had not even come round to take the serial numbers of the computers.”

"Under section 23 of the Theft Act 1968, it is illegal to advertise rewards for return of goods stolen or lost using words to the effect that no questions will be asked.

"Anyone convicted faces a fine of up to £100 and will get a criminal record."

If you have not yet visited Dr. Hypercube's "Diary of a Mad Natural Historian" let me tempt you with this entry on elephants and Howdah pistols and this one on parthenogenetic (?) frogs.

More in a little-- I actually AM suffering from some buggy problems that make it hard to
link without typing out URL's.

Later if I finish a draft of my work: photos including of a friend's new Ferruginous hawk and a couple of another friend's unusual rifle.

4 comments:

Mary Strachan Scriver said...

Put my name on the list of people irritated (ha!) with blogger. I waited until several people had ventured onto the new version and reported "safe ice." But as soon as I got onto it, strange things began to happen. The first few days went fine -- my photos were posting without much fuss finally. I compose off-line and then cut-and-paste, so I never lose posts entirely, but comments to other blogs went all over the place. Hope this one makes it. Misery loves company.

Prairie Mary

Chas S. Clifton said...

I transferred Nature Blog first, since it is hosted by Blogger. When that went OK, I switched Hardscrabble Creek, since it is hosted by a different ISP and is bigger.

So far, so good, although I am watching for feed problems.

Heidi the Hick said...

I just switched about twenty minutes ago. Hey, no problems so far...


I was going to be the last holdout but today it wouldn't let me in unless I switched. Damn dictatorship....whatever. Hopefully I waited long enough to have all the bugs worked out.

I just wanna write and put up pictures, man! Why the hassle???? gah.

tetsuan_atomo said...

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, I have some Australian Megafauna fossils I'd be happy to trade or sell to those with interest in the area.

I have 16 pieces of Procoptodon (giant kangaroo) bones of varying sizes, that I was allowed to keep after an expedition by the state museum.

I also have an enormous tooth, about a foot long and still showing its original enamel, and a couple of skull fragments from a Diprotodon (giant wombat) that I found myself on a geology field trip.

I have documentation authorising the export of these fossils outside Australia.

Not meaning to spam, its just that I'm aware this kind of material is very rarely available and I'd like to see the specimens go to an appreciative home ;]

I can be contacted at leary.joe@gmail.com for photos and further information

Cheers

Joe