Friday, February 09, 2007

Delicious Martini

A while ago I posted a link to Winnie the Pooh with a (non- drinkable) Martini. In response, Bruce Douglas sent me pics of the most wonderful example of that venerable British colonial rifle I have ever seen. I WANT one!

He wrote: "Great silver work and goatskin sling are tasteful (by Khyber standards)... A friend thought it started out life as a sporting rifle--not a cut-down military. It weighs a hair under 7 1/2 lbs. The only markings (other than in the picture) are on the falling block--1ooks like your standard Birmingham proof, the other single small mark probably stands for "Clive has a job here too." My sense of this rifle is that it was once owned, carried, and used by a man who truly appreciated it...well worn, but mechanically in very good shape, and adorned tastefully. One of the weak points is the silver sling-swivels--they just don't wear well."

Needless to say, I'd take it anyway.


No comments: