Saturday, February 10, 2007

Godzilla, Vampires, and Moby Goshawk?

Darren has been busy-- he has the first of his promised vampire posts up, and one on the science of Godzilla.

In a comment in the second, I learned of the derivation of the monster's name:

"Godzilla of course is a corruption of the Japanese Gojira, which is a portmanteau of gorira (gorilla) and kujira (whale): Gorilla-whale."

I commented:

"Re "Gojira": a falconer friend has just moved to Kyoto, where he made the acquaintance of a Japanese falconer who flies an enormous Siberian Goshawk of the white albidus subspecies named "Takajira", "Taka" being "hawk". We thought its name meant "Hawkzilla", but perhaps it means "Whale- hawk?" Does that make it a white whale?

"The falconer is a professor of something, so both are possibilities..."

Bodie?

Now I just hope that Darren will deal with the biology of Cthulhu.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Anonymous said...

Do you know if the guy with the white goshawk is a Mr. Ota? If so, I know that guy!...I could ask him next time I see him about his hawk's name but chances are it's just the Godzilla reference. 9.5 outta 10 Japanese people don't even know where the word Godzilla comes from if you ask them nowadays. (And I speak with somewhat authority on that! I was a Japanese tour guide at the place where they filmed the modern Godzilla on Oahu in Hawaii and it was always part of my trivia..."And how many of you know where the word Godzilla comes from?" *crickets* (^_^) )

Steve Bodio said...

I'm sure Bodie will tell us. The falconer is an academic and he probably knows the derivation--??

Anonymous said...

This could be Hawkzilla:

http://horus.blog.ocn.ne.jp/ckf/2007/02/post_35e9.html#comments

This guy is part of our local club here in the Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe area) I don't know of anyone else actively flying a white gos in the area so this could be the white whale hawk itself...

Pluvialis said...

Check out the HP Lovecraft plushes!
http://www.toyvault.com/cthulhu/index.html

Anonymous said...

It is indeed Hawkzilla... ment I'm guessing as a joke due to the birds size. I also have seen Long wings of various species flown on game birds. I dont know if it's the same bird with which your accuainted but could very well be.. I'll send photos as soon as I have an opportunity to get some..

Steve Bodio said...

testing

Anonymous said...

When you're buying a motorcycle you need to know about bikes, but you also need to know about how to buy a bike, and that has nothing to do with engines and manufacturing. One important detail where a lot of people that purchase motorcycles go wrong is getting the right loan.