Friday, May 18, 2007

Around The Web

This has to be the most... original... variation on the fish/ Darwin/ whatever sticker I have seen yet. HT Doc Hypercube for the site.

I'm sorry, but I can't warm to control freaks, especially ones that are known to freak out about people owning animals (ferrets in one case I know). This is Rudy in his own words:

"What we don't see is that freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do."

The thought of having to choose a president from three nannyish New Yorkers, Rudy, Hilary, and (worst of all) Bloomberg, does not fill me with joy....

Garden and Gun: BEST new name for a magazine. Sign me up!

This paper on sexual dimorphism in anole lizards confirms a lot of what we have been thinking about the differences between male and female raptors.

"The superciliati are sniffing away disgustedly at extracts from a list of 170 books that 11- to 14-year-old boys might actually enjoy", says Ruth Edwards in her essay in the Telegraph. Lots of good comment on the pleasures of reading and writing "genre", too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Jimmy Breslin's description of Rudy!9/11!America'sMayor!:

"a little man looking for a balcony"