Wednesday, May 30, 2007

New Wolf Species

Darren has been too busy to post anything but amazing pictures, but he did email me a heads up on--!-- not one but TWO new wolf species!

"I've been following the story here (popular articles and shorter papers reporting the relevant discoveries have been appearing since 2003 at least), but finally we have the full report. The authors find that Indian grey wolves and Himalayan wolves are outside of a clade that includes all undoubted C. lupus populations, and are distinct enough from the latter to warrant specific recognition. The two new species are C. himalayensis and C. indica. I think this is huge news and am desperate to blog on it - but I just don't have time."

Here is a link to the abstract. I hope Darren will soon be able to tell us more.

No comments: