Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cheery Bar # 1: Querencia Country Part 4

John Carlson suggested Q Country is people too, and I heartily agree. More than one person has asked for pix from the Golden Spur, where as the song goes "everyone knows your name". They have known mine for over 30 years, longer than the youngest staff has been alive.

Sunset-- let's go in-- back door. (Front is for package)...

The bar decor, after a brief interregnum we won't talk about, is Western, with a historical photo gallery...


Plenty of conversation but not busy yet.


That was Montana Pettis. He is a bartender, as are Luke Martin and Cat Aragon (she is also a teacher with a master's degree).


Montana's father Darryl, left, is the present owner; Steve Grayson, right, had the place for nearly 30 years and is in a scene toward the end of Q- the- Book:

Steve and Colleen Grayson are also the parents of occasional (and too infrequent) Q- Blogger Phil, busy living the literary and teaching life in NYC, after stints in Turkey and Poland.

One more customer: John Paul Jones Apachito aka "Paul Jones", one of my oldest friends and a man of many parts. He is Alamo Navajo and Apache, a father and grandfather, a former track star and present coach; and the only person I know who during his summer vacation will pay to go to advanced math workshops for fun. He writes equations on bar napkins...

I am only getting started...

2 comments:

jody said...

Reminds me of when you and I went to a bar in Mass. Only time I was ever carded - at 25 or so years. We went back to your place so I could get my license - and then the curmudgeon wouldn't accept it because it was out of state and "looked suspicious".
I'm in Salida CO now - 6000 people at 7000 ft elevation.
Thinking of you and appreciating your huge writing talents.

Steve Bodio said...

Thanks Jody! Email is "ebodio- at- gilanet- dot- com"-- drop a line?